New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2018. Hershel Parker (ed.). Third Edition. Paperback. Fine/ As New. B/W maps and illustrations. Selected Bibliography. 14 x 23.5 cm. 706 pp. Item #13273
“One of the great strengths of this third edition is Hershel Parker’s inclusion of commentary on Moby-Dick from its publication in 1851 right into the 21st century to answer why Moby-Dick—boisterous, beautiful, filled with soaring language, forever questioning, and nearly 200 years old—is more popular than ever.” —MARY K. BERCAW EDWARDS, University of Connecticut
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
• Melville’s classic novel of whaling and revenge, based on Hershel Parker’s revision of the 1967 text edited by Harrison Hayford and Hershel Parker.
• Twenty-six illustrations, including maps, contemporary engravings, and diagrams of whaleboat rigging.
• Background and source materials centering on whaling and whalecraft, Melville’s international reception, the inspirations for Moby-Dick, and Melville’s related correspondence.
• Forty-four reviews and interpretations of the novel spanning three centuries.
• A revised and updated Selected Bibliography.