New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2019. Michael R. Katz (tr. and ed.). First Edition. Paperback. Fine/ As New. Chronology. Selected Bibliography. 14 x 23.5 cm. 576 pp. Item #13278
“These are the voices of Crime and Punishment in all their original, dazzling variety: pensive, urgent, defiant, and triumphant. This new translation by Michael Katz revives the intensity Dostoevsky’s first readers experienced.” —Susan McReynolds, Northwestern University
“Mesmerizingly good . . . the best, truest translation of Dostoevsky’s masterpiece into English. It’s a magnificent, almost terrifying achievement of translation, one that makes its predecessors, however worthy, seem safe and polite.” —Steve Donoghue, Open Letters Monthly
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
• Michael Katz’s “superb” (Times Literary Supplement) new translation of the world’s most-read Russian novel accompanied by his preface and detailed explanatory footnotes.
• Names of principal characters, a note on characters’ names, and a map of St. Petersburg.
• Key excerpts from Dostoevsky’s notebooks, letters, and his early draft of Part II, Chapter 2.
• Twenty-six scholarly essays on the novel from Russian, European, and American sources.
• A chronology and a selected bibliography.